An advisory council charged with making budget recommendations to the chancellor has formed, Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin announced in a Nov. 12 email to MU employees.
The Budget Allocation Advisory Council will advise on all aspects of the campus budgeting process in support of the university’s core missions of teaching, research, public service and economic development. The council will be involved in budget priorities and reallocations as they relate to the MU Strategic Operating Plan.
Council membership includes five ex officio members:
• Ken Dean, interim provost
• Rhonda Gibler, vice chancellor for finance
• Todd Mackley, associate director for finance
• Pat Okker, interim deputy provost
• Jim Spain, vice provost for undergraduate studies
They will provide background, data and context for the group’s work. The five administrators in these roles are permanent council members who do not vote.
The remaining 15 members are staff, administrators, faculty and students who serve two-year terms. Of them, 10 are voting members and five are nonvoting members. (Nonvoting members become voting members in their second year on the council; when a nonvoting position opens, a new member fills it.)
Representing chancellor’s staff:
• Alysha O’Neil, director of fiscal operations in Student Affairs, voting member
• Gary Ward, vice chancellor for operations and chief operating officer, voting member
Representing academic affairs:
• Kris Hagglund, dean of the School of Health Professions, voting member
• Dan Clay, dean of the College of Education, voting member
• Joan Gabel, dean of the Trulaske College of Business, voting member
• Scott Brooks, associate professor of sociology and black studies, voting member
• Wilma King, professor of African-American history, voting member
• Bradley Curs, associate professor of educational leadership and policy analysis, nonvoting member
• Doug Wakefield, director of the Center for Health Care Quality; nonvoting member
Representing undergraduate students:
• Chris Hanner, voting member
• Haden Gomez, nonvoting member
Representing graduate students:
• Jill Arnold, voting member
• Alex Howe, nonvoting member
• Chrissy Kintner, resource 25 coordinator in the Office of the University Registrar, voting member
• Kate Shipova, core facilities research specialist, non-voting member.
Given their level of background and involvement with budget processes, the vice chancellor and dean members will always be voting members. The chancellor appoints the two vice chancellor representatives. The three deans will be recommended by the provost for the chancellor’s approval.
Faculty Council nominates faculty representatives. The Missouri Students Association and the Graduate Professional Council nominate student representatives. The Staff Advisory Council nominates staff representatives.